a day in the life of ...

Sunday, April 03, 2005

04.02.2005 AmbulanceLTD/Autolux/Dr.Dog @ UBC Pit Pub Vancouver, BC

Judging by a change in pollstar, apparently this show was supposed to take place in Edmonton instead of Vancouver. Their loss is our gain. I was rather disappointed by the fact that Autolux (the band I came to see) will be making 3 stops in Vancouver over the course of 4 months, yet none of which will be a headlining tour. On the other hand, I guess it saves them a lot of money by being the main opener instead of the headliner. If they were to play every song off their album, they'd only play 50 some odd minutes. Doing 30-45min opening slots would make more sense.

I arrived at the venue about half an hour after doors opened to find a pretty bare pit pub. I've seen more people in it on a weekday afternoon. Dr. Dog, was pretty meh. Actually they were kind of boring. The only thing worth writing was that one of their singers wore sunglasses the entire time, which sort of gave him a Kurt Cobain resemblance.

Autolux was up next. They opened their set with a new song rocking instrumental. Their set was quite good. A nice long setlist for an opening band. Their drummer is very good at what she does. I don't know a lot about drumming technique in general, but i do know that she's good enough to set herself apart from a lot of the other drummers I've seen over the years. During 'Robots In the Garden' she starts with a maraca in one hand while drumming in the other. Mid way through the set, the maraca is dropped, and another drum stick was grabbed, all without missing a beat.

Autolux Setlist

23 Watt Apple Juice
Plantlife
Subzero Fun
Turnstile Blues
Asleep at the Trigger
Robots in the Garden
Sugarless
Blanket
Capital Kind of Strain

For me Abulance LTD was more of a bonus. I really could have left after seeing Autolux. In fact a few people did. Apparently they're New York's darlings of the indie scene. They did enough to keep me entertained but nothing more. A lot of their songs were pretty good for chill music, but I found it to be a little repetitive. I was pretty relieved after they stopped playing after 50 min. They actually encored after 38 min. I did it. 2 Shows in one day, and all it cost me was a sore back.

Autolux

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Ambulance LTD

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home