a day in the life of ...

Sunday, July 30, 2006

07.29.06 Capitol Hill Block Party

Today's show was a road trip down to lovely Seattle for Capitol City Block Party, which is basically as it implies. They close down the street and have 3 stages of music. Sounds good especailly when its also open taping. We got on the road at around 11:30-12. Spent about 1+ hour at the border. Ridiculous. I'm guessing it had to do with the shooting in Seattle the day prior. But on with the show.

Big line ups to get in. Missed Smoosh, who my friend was convinced they were going to bring out Eddie Vedder. I wonder if they did or not. Caught the last bit of Silverstein Pickups. They were... meh.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Next up were Minus the Bear. Pretty good showing, Had seen them in the past and this was definitely one of the better ones. They also added a new keyboard player. Usual tapping antics were prevalent. Pretty good setlist. Highlight of the set was "Thanks for the Killer Game of Crisco", which I haven't heard before. Set was about 45 minutes.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Black Angels followed playing their blend of Stoner Rock? with a bit of "big band" elements thrown in. Lots of trippy sounds. They didn't suck, but I wasn't as impressed as I thought i would be. (I've heard some really good reviews) They played an hour w/ most of the members switching instruments with one another at one point or another, except for the keyboardist.

Next was Common Market who I'm guessing is a rapper from Seattle. Not bad, had a few good flows. I'm not usually a fan of rap, and this didn't really change my opinion but I was impressed that he was able to do his set for almost an hour. Midset he asked for some young people to come up on stage and free-style. They didn't. In fact, one of the kids that came up was just fuckin around. I'm guessing he's a local rap star, which explains his slot.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Then came the not so suprise headliner, emerald city's own, Murder City Devils. I've never seen MCD before, other than from a few bootlegs. And they, like Big Business, like to bring the worst kinda crowds. The rowdy, drunk kind. I literally felt like I was going to die up front. I can't imagine how the guy in the wheelchair, beside me, was doing. Thanks to Douglas for letting me borrow his cam, despite the fact footage was... well not worth writing about. This is what happens when you don't get the big guns passes *i'm looking at you jim*. That being said, MCD is a fun band. Just not at a big show. True they were sloppy as you can get, and the soundman looked very confused a lot of the times. But what can you expect for 6 year hiatus. Overall they played a little over a hour including encore. Oh and they're playing Sunday at the Showbox. So is the hiatus over?

$20/$15 (it was open taping/festival; however including transportation and parking... $20/$50)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home