a day in the life of ...

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

05.22.2008 Beirut/Laura Barrett

Laura Barrett, sounds and looks like that stereotypical mousy, art-school musician. She was accompanied by a guitarist for some of her songs. As for Laura, she plays the Kalimba. That's right the Kalimba. Ok I didn't know what it was either until I looked it up here. To say the Commodore, was a larger venue for her is an understatement. However, she played very well and seemed to be right at home playing for the 50 or so people who paid attention. I thought it was pretty cool. I imagine she probably plays for her friends in their living rooms during parties. They must be very lucky.

Zach was apparently pretty drunk drinking freely from a bottle of wine between songs. He mentioned having to buy a ukulele from nearby music store Tom Lee, as his last one was stolen from their previous show in New York. They stopped using the setlist towards the end of the first set. I was a little disappointed to see them leave the stage before the first encore, after less than an hour. My fears of a short show were eventually forgotten as Zach and his band came back multiple times for a total of 3 encores in their 70-80 min set. Thrown in with all the hits were a bunch of oddities and covers such as "Siki Siki Baba" (Kocani Orkestar), "O Leaozinho"(Caetano Veloso) and a few others. One of the band members claimed they were "pulling out all the stops" to make up for not including Vancouver on their previous tours. I don't know whether or not I believe him, but nevertheless, I left quite impressed.

$50/$35

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home