a day in the life of ...

Sunday, September 20, 2009

09.04.2009 A Textbook Tragedy / Sights & Sounds / Party at the Moon Tower

Photobucket
photo credits: Tommy Au
more photos here


I haven't been in the Media Club in almost a year, but man, they've really changed it, and probably for the better. The sound booth is now located behind the merch table and the bar tables have been taken out, opening up the room for more dancing I guess or maybe lounging. In place of the sound booth is a booth for will call. I think the stage is a little bigger too.

Never heard of Party at the moon tower. Don't recall that much but I believe I the singer had a pretty good screamo-type voice.

Photobucket


Never heard of Sights & Sounds either, but was surprised to find out that this was Andrew Neufeld's (from Figure Four/Comeback Kid) new band. Someone said it was his "prog-rock" side project. I tend to disagree. They remind me of Thursday, and I don't really consider them prog. Useless genre pushing aside, I didn't find their set to be that bad, just not what I would normally listen to. I'd describe it as post hardcore with spacey effects thrown in. Not sure why they played the spacey effects from a tape though, I would have liked it more if it was done live. They had a pretty cool light setup, and seemed to have at least some of the crowd interested.

I'm pretty sure I saw A Textbook Tragedy play on the same show as Stutterfly about 5 years back. I don't remember too much about it though. I haven't really paid much attention to this band over the years mainly because I thought they jocked too many Dillinger Escape Plan riffs. After seeing the show I'm happy to find out that their current repertoire doesn't invoke the same feeling. Looks like they have gained a pretty nice reputation for high energy shows over the years. First song had the crowd moving for the first time in the evening. The crowd was really into it. Even had hardcore dancers doing their thing in the middle of the dance floor. I think I even remember seeing one stage dive as well. Unfortunately, this was an early show show they only had an 8 song set, with no encore. Still it was good while it lasted.



Setlist

White Lightning
What's Pit Beef?
Intimidator
Destroyed In Seconds
If You Want Blood...
Lincoln City
The West Coast Answer
Dude, I'm On Alesse


$8/$12

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home