a day in the life of ...

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

06.09.2007 Land of Talk/Love and Mathematics

The Rosebuds were headlining, but I was too sick to check it out. About a week ago Land of Talk mysteriously disappeared off both The Rosebuds' and the promoter's website. At that point I was rather relieved as I didn't buy a ticket yet and wasn't really that into the Rosebuds. Fastforward to the day of the show and I'm sick with an annoying (and probably somewhat contagious because i know who i got it from) cold; sore throat, runny nose and all that fun stuff. So a couple hours before the show, I'm surfing the net and I come across a new post from Quinn's blog (blog tag), essentially saying Liz from LoT will be playing solo due to more border crossing problems. Damn, sometimes Vancouver's geographical location brings about some interesting shows (ie final show of the tour, festival off-dates). Sick or not, I can't pass this one up.

Love and Mathematics. In terms of local bands, I like this one. They aren't really heavy, and they're not really that poppy either. They have a post-rock meets indie pop sort of sound. When I say post rock, i mean like explosions in the sky without the distortion and thus without the "blowing up"/air plane taking off.... well if you listen to mogwai/mono/godspeed you know what i mean.

I've heard of Liz from Land of Talk doing solo shows before when LoT was touring with The Slip, but I never thought I'd get to see one. It turns out it's somewhat of a bittersweet experience. She admits it herself, it's not like she's doing her own songs, it's just her doing Land of Talk songs without the rest of band. So you don't get the rock'n out vibe you would normally get unfortunately. However, we did get a taste of how awesome the new songs will be. The new songs are great, I can only imagine how good they'll be with the rest of the band playing.

Setlist

Young bridge (New Song)
New Song (a slow little number, similar to Street Wheels)
Breaxxbaxx
Magnetic Hill
Summer Special
Yuppie Food (or Yuppie Floo/Foo/Flu I couldn't really tell)
Sea Foam






$15/$15 (i feel like i should say $10, but who am i kidding, 10 times out of 10 i'd do it again and pay $15 for a 30 min. solo set)

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home