a day in the life of ...

Saturday, June 07, 2008

05.23.2008 Ladytron/Datarock

Back when I was 19 or so, I worked at my University's bookstore filling out textbook orders. My supervisor had this cassette mixtape which played on a boombox to alleviate the boredom. The tape played on repeat for a good couple of weeks, permanently etching a few songs into my head. One of the songs on that mixtape was Ladytron's "Playgirl". And that's how a kid who, at the time, was pretty much only listening to metal and it's many variations at the time, discovered Ladytron.

I was going to check out openers Datarock, but complications in getting my ticket means another side story rather than another review:

Velocifero is currently one of my most listened to albums. I figure now is as good a time as any to see them live. So a few weeks before the show, I notice quite a few people on craigslist having problems unloading them. Being greedy, I decide to wait until the day before the show to buy a ticket for $10 below face. I would have picked it up that day, but I had another show to go to. I wasn't worried though, as the show wasn't sold out .... until I arrived at the venue. Suddenly market value for tickets isn't 'face - $10' anymore, it's now 'face + $15'. Being very stubborn, I decide, to wait until the midway through Datarock's set for the market value to go back down. It doesn't really (The scalpers apparently are stubborn as well as they don't normally lower their price until after the main act has started playing), but I did find someone who was willing to sell a ticket for yesterday's market value price. Score!!! (he would have gotten $10 from the scalpers, so Score!! for him as well)

Anyways I arrive while Datarock was finishing up their set. They seemed to be having fun on stage as was the crowd. other than that I couldn't really tell you much, aside from they all had red Datarock hoodies on.

Aside from the founding four members, Ladytron also had a touring drummer and bassist with them, which really added a punch to the sound. The first thing I noticed when Ladytron started playing was that it was loud, really bassy too. Perhaps the crowd was a little too excited to see them as a psuedo pit emerged a few minutes into their first song Black Car. After the song singer, Helen had to ask them to settle down, which they did, as the rest of the night was more dance party than mosh pit. They played mostly songs off Velocifero and maybe 1 or 2 songs off each previous album, mostly hits. I'm not really familiar the albums between Velocifero and 604, so I was pretty glad that they at least played a couple from Playgirl and Discotraxx off of 604. They played about 70 min encoring with 3 songs ending off with Destroy Everything You Know.

$37/$30

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home