a day in the life of ...

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

02.21.2010 Coeur de Pirate

The Maison du Quebec or Quebec House, is pretty much a 4 sided tent without a roof. Inside is a stage and a medium sized cafe. Food coming out of said Cafe looked really good, but probably really expensive.

Photobucket

Coeur de Pirate or Beatrice Martin's set started immediately after Canada's loss to the US in the Olympic prelims. Her music probably helped the mostly Canadian crowd forget about the crushing defeat only moments before. She was in fine form, playing everything off of her debut album. After the first song, she asked if this was an English or French crowd. I think they decided on bilingual because she ended up doing both French and English banter. She also played a new song called "Place de la Republique", which I believe is the same song I heard at Hillside last year. Actually come to think of it, I wouldn't be surprised if she's been playing the same setlist night after night. She prefaced "Pour Un Infidele" saying that she had been stood up by someone today and that he was a douche bag. She also threw in two covers to fill the set, Etinne d'Aout by fellow Quebecers Malajube and Umbrellas by Rhianna.

Photobucket

After the set, she announced another set at 8 pm, which was 20 min from now. I figured I might as well wait it out.

The biggest difference between the first set and the second was a habs sweater.

Photobucket

The setlist was the same as the first. This time when she asked the crowd if she should speak French or English, they decided on French. So the banter was pretty much the same as well, aside from it being in French, though near the end she started speaking in English again. I think my only complaint of the night was that this venue an open air venue, and I think I'm catching a cold waiting in line for all these free shows.


$20/0

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home