a day in the life of ...

Monday, February 28, 2011

02.16.2011 Godspeed You! Black Emperor / Total Life

I still remember sometime in 2003 when Godspeed was touring the US and I really wanted to see them. They started with the east coast and were planning on doing west coast dates afterwards. That was until they broke up. Their reformation is easily the most excited I've ever been to see a band play live. The opener wasn't really worth writing about. Total Life as he was called was a one person laptop/dj/looping noise maker and the only act to put me to sleep in the 15 or so years I've been going to concerts.

Godspeed ended up being the exactly what I imagined they would be 8 years ago. A dark and brooding orchestral force. Also worth mentioning were the visuals. It was like watching an old artsy film put to the perfect soundtrack. This photo best illustrates what I'm talking about. My only complaint for this show was that in my dreams back in 2003 they played both Moya and East Hastings.


Godspeed You! Black Emperor
02.16.2011
The Vogue Theatre
Vancouver, BC

source: DPA 4061>diybb>H140
lineage: WAV(m)>FLAC
editing: Fade in/Fade out,volume raised in some parts, removed some talking

Setlist:
01) Intro/Hope Drone
02) Storm
03) Static
04) Albanian
05) World Police and Friendly Fire
06) Dead Metheny
07) Rockets Fall on Rocket Falls
08) BBF3



mp3s and a better player here.


$40/$40

Labels: , , ,