a day in the life of ...

Thursday, September 14, 2006

06.04.2003 Explosions in the Sky

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Since its been pretty slow in terms of the shows, I thought I would write a bit about some of the older shows that happened before I was blogging. Classic posts if you will. Most of these are shows when I was still living in Portland.

At the time, I was not much of a post-rock fan. In fact, I had hardly heard of the genre, and I had certainly not heard any eits songs. But my bro told me to go so I did. The show happened at a place in NE portland called the Blackbird (which was actually gutted and turned into a deli or something a few months later). The building itself is very well arty. theres a small kitchen, with tables, recessed playing area and dinky stage. I think i got there around 8 or so and the was told that bands got on stage at around 10. That and there were 5 bands tonite. Doing the math in my head... yea that didn't sound good at all.

After waiting a couple of boring hours and trying to kill time. The first few bands played. I really don't remember anything about them except they weren't to impressive and they had funny names. The swirlies, the Lillies and Lazarus. There was also another local i think, making it even longer.

Before eits gets on, I try to get some girl to save my spot, cuz I got some stuff to prepare near the soundboard. The soundguy was pretty cool as I recall. Anyway at this time it is really late. 1-2 in the morning and in a surreal sort of way, the place is packed solid and right out side the streets are completely empty. I get back and find that the bitch doesn't save my spot. My memory is kinda hazy, but I think I was trying to get her to save me a chair or something. Whatever, I decide to stand right in front of her, blocking her veiw. With that, eits hit the stage.

I am completely floored. I think that was one of the first times I've ever been to a concert and totally blown away by a band that I've never heard before. They play for about an hour, which at the end felt like I could hear them play all night. Every song had the pleasent characteristic of long building passages. At times I really couldn't tell one song from the other, but at the same time I was mesmerized by the whole experience that I really didn't seem to care.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

setlist:
memorial
greet death
yasmin the light
first breath after a coma
the only moment we were alone.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

At the end of the show, I left feeling suprisingly awake at 2 in the morning. I didn't feel the same the next day.

$40/$8 probably one of the best shows I went to all that year.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home