a day in the life of ...

Friday, July 06, 2007

Why some people shouldn't be allowed to vote.

A couple of days ago, I read that the Deftones are going to do a choose your own setlist for one of the Deftones Commodore shows (from their myspace). Usually this results in one of two things happening. 1) People are smart and choose some rare songs to play - also known as the right thing to do. 2) People aren't very smart and choose their favorite songs. The problem with the latter is that it defeats the purpose of doing a choose your own setlist. I mean, why make a special thing out of it when all people are going to do is pick a setlist that is similiar to every other date that they play on the tour.

As I write, the first twenty picks are setlist staples (My Own Summer. BQAD, Engine no.9, Head Up, etc). Whereas songs that have never been played live, or rarely played live are near the bottom (like Linus, fist, nightboat, acoustic songs). This is an opportunity to hear some rare material - some that may not be played again. So, why aren't people taking advantage of it?

I guess I'm not really suprised. In 2001, Megadeth did a similar sort of deal where you could pick your setlist. As I recall, Vancouver was one of the only cities that were suckered into picking the radio rockers Breadline and Crush 'em, over more credible songs. Democracy, I suppose, is a double edge sword.

/rant

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home