a day in the life of ...

Friday, July 13, 2007

07.12.2007 Deftones / First to Last / Die Mannequin

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
photo: rlos1104

I can't remember the last time that I have ever been so disappointed in my life. Not getting to hear The Blood Brothers play "Ambulance, Ambulance" the last 2 times I've seen them or Wintersleep play "People Talk", while dissatisfying, really doesn't compare to this. Three Nights of Deftones and three mediocore setlists. (note: if you are kind of lost see the last 3 posts)

Once again, Die Mannequin and From First to Last opened the show. Both bands really did not deviate too much from the last two nights. I'm still not sure that I like Die Mannequin song-wise, but as like the last two shows, they were pretty entertaining. From First to Last still did nothing for me. I'll note that they are still quite infatuated with Transformers. The only thing that would have piqued my interest was if someone had fallen off the stage again (see night 1).

By the time the Deftones hit the stage, I was already wondering if I had wasted my money. The final tallies were posted on the band's myspace a couple of hours before - to my chagrin. The result were what I had feared; the majority of the songs were standard set songs. At that point, I could only hope for deviation. Well I sort of got what I wanted. The set was really just combination of the first 2 nights. Crowd favourite like Bored, Passenger, Engine no. 9, My Own Summer and 7 Words were all played. Also played were 2 older songs that I could do without: Elite and Back to School. The latter being a song that the band once mentioned as being a song that they never liked. Most glaring were omissions of neither any cover songs, nor any cover snippets (ie: engine no. 9>Wicked, 7 words>say it ain't so ). At the very least I was hoping Teething would have been played on at least one of the shows. A more objective view of the show would be that it was pretty decent show; they did play well over 90 minutes. However, for the third night of a three night stand, coupled with a choose your own setlist dangled over my nose, my expectations were high. So was my disappointment.

Setlist

Feiticiera
Elite
Passenger
My Own Summer (Shove it)
Be Quite and Drive
Around the Fur
Beware
Rats! Rats! Rats!
Knife Party
Rx Queen
Root
Engine no. 9
Hole In the Earth
Xerces
Bored
Minus Blindfold
Lifter
=========
Back to School
Change
7 Words



$10/$50 - I don't think I'll pay to see Deftones again.

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • I appreciated ur blogs for all 3 days of Deftones.I was at the 3rd night and though I've seen them before I enjoyed it.I felt they played a good variety of their music. I paid to see them sing their songs not covers of other ppls so that part doesnt bother me. Crowd was decent, his voice sounded amazing, and I heard what I wanted to hear. Though I wish they played Street Carp and I missed Digital Bath. Still awesome and I'll see them again!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, July 13, 2007 at 7:07:00 PM PDT  

  • Your opinions are always welcome. I still stand by mine. I'm not saying they were bad shows. My disappointment more or less stems from the missed opportunity.

    By Blogger firmdragon, at Saturday, July 14, 2007 at 1:22:00 PM PDT  

  • How do they do Passenger? Does Chino just sing Maynard's parts as well? I haven't seen the Deftones live in years, and of the two times, when they played it Maynard was actually there (Summersault 2000)

    By Blogger Quinn, at Sunday, July 15, 2007 at 2:23:00 PM PDT  

  • I'm sad I didn't make it to one of these. But not so disappointed at the same time being that the last 2 times I saw them I had been somewhat disappointed by their performance... Oh well, maybe I'll grab it if you ever share it. At least now I'm in Van, I may see you at some other show sometime, if there's something cool coming up! hehe

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, July 16, 2007 at 11:39:00 AM PDT  

  • Quinn: Yea Chino does both vocal parts. Pretty sure he uses a fair bit of delay/echo.

    Pat: Yea we definitely gotta hit up a show sometime. Anything in mind? Your vx2100 is collecting dust.

    By Blogger firmdragon, at Tuesday, July 17, 2007 at 1:02:00 AM PDT  

  • Yes, it definitely is! I haven't seen many interesting shows coming up but I think I could enjoy a Pelican show although I am not very familiar with their material. Other than that, I don't know, I checked on here, pollstar and last.fm events but haven't seen much else. I'll probably go to QOTSA but my VX2100 won't be of any use there.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, July 18, 2007 at 6:28:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home