a day in the life of ...

Friday, July 11, 2008

07.04.2008 Have Heart / Verse

I haven't been to a real hardcore show in few years. I guess Darkest Hour technically could count, but Converge 2005 sounds more likely. It appears my tastes have changed over the years. I can't really think of very many hardcore bands that I'd actually pay to see. Have Heart isn't actually one of them, but I guess Verse is. I've also always been really disappointed with the turnout at most of the diy hardcore shows. This usually means a low crowd density at the front of the stage (if there is even is one) resulting in very little stage diving. I've never been to the Cambrian Hall, but my hopes were raised when I saw a stage, one with some height to it.

The first band was Bodyguard. I felt pretty bored watching them.

Circles followed after about a 30-40 min change over. Actually a good thing, otherwise the show would have ended pretty early. (hardcore shows = 25 min sets) I recognized the guitarist, due to him being ex-Blue Monday. They were a little more entertaining.

Verse, to be honest was disappointing. I expected craziness, because I know people like their record, but two factors came into play. The first being that singer Sean Murphy had injured his leg so his mobility was hampered. Secondly people were complaining of the high stage. I didn't think it was that high, it certainly wasn't as high as the WISE Hall one. Did that stop potential stage divers? I think I spotted one stage diver their whole set. Murphy emarked on how he had to look down when he addressed the crowd. The most interesting part of their set was the (somewhat) stereotypical speech, heard at most diy hardcore shows. Not surprisingly, Murphy expressed his growing disappointment with the current diy scene (and people call me a whiner.... i kid), and its shift away from the diy principals or something to that idea. I've heard that same speech from a lot of bands.

Have Heart is a band I just don't get. I know a lot of people swear by them, but if it wasn't for the energy of the crowd, I would have left early. There was a lot of crowd participation and some more stage diving to keep me interested.


$5/$10

i actually wanted to rate this lower, but i also have to acknowledge that one of the upsides to diy shows is that the ticket prices are kept really low, so even if you didn't have as good of a time as you'd hoped, you at least didn't spend as much on it as you would have if say livenation were presenting it. this also means people like me could justify going if they only like one band on the bill.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home