a day in the life of ...

Saturday, September 08, 2007

09.07.2007 Wolf Parade / Holy Fuck /....Fake Shark Real Zombie

I learned two things last night: Sometimes early shows can be a good thing and Fake Shark Real Zombie is easily the best band in Vancouver right now, but more on that later...

The night started out with the sold out Wolf Parade / Holy Fuck show at Richards on Richards. This show had been sold out for well over a month. The last time around, Wolf Parade played at the Commodore Ballroom and Holy Fuck headlined their own Richards show. With the amount of people that were in the no-ticket-lineup, it was obvious that this was the place to be tonight. We can thank Spoon for playing at the Commodore, forcing WP to play at a smaller more intimate venue. Being that it was an early show, there was no local support, cutting out the fluff.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Holy Fuck opened the night. This time around, 'evil supergroup' of Dependent music, cemented by Brian Borcherdt and Graham Walsh, featured Loel Campbell on drums and I'm guessing Kevin Lynn on bass. It seems they also added a member this time around doing some sort of electronic manipulation. Their set was on the short side, hovering on half an hour. The one new song they played, at the begining of their set, fit quite nicely with their sound. Although, not as blown away as I have been in the past by their set, they're still better than 90% of the bands that I've seen open shows. Other notables: It appears they've gotten rid of the movie projector device.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Wolf Parade got on stage around 8:45 to a packed room of eager Vancouverites. For some reason, there seems to something with WP playing and the room getting hot and sweaty, it also happened last time I saw them at an Artspace in East Van. This meant "shirts off" for some of the bros behind me. WP played around 80 min of mainly new songs. I wish I could tell you the names of new songs, but as you can see, their setlist is limited to one word per line.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Also I'm not very good at generalizing songs, but the new songs were, from what I remember, pretty good. Very fitting of Wolf Parade. There were a few danceable numbers in there too. The crowd was very into it. The dynamics of the tag team song writing team of Spencer Krug and Dan Boekener are definitely a pleasure to see live. WP finished their set with a new song, just as the 10 pm curfew rolled around. It used to be that at early shows (early due to dance night starting as soon as shows ended), if a band finished their main set late, it would be a real struggle to play after the curfew. However, since 1/2 alive's residency, at more and more Friday nights the rock show and dance party now share the same clientelle. So Wolf Parade was allowed to play 2 more songs past their curfew, ending a fairly decent show with crowd favorites, 'This Heart's On Fire' and I'll believe in anything, You'll believe in Nothing'.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

$20/$0 Techincally I didn't pay for my ticket (Thanks Loel!), but this was definitely worth the ticket price.

On most normal nights this would have been the end of my night, but this was a weekend and an early show at that, so I head over to Library Square to try and catch Fake Shark Real Zombie.

A local band by the name of Hung Jury started the show. I came there mid set and will only say that I got really bored when they started to jam around. I was told they were to start their set at 11:00 and FSRZ would be on at 12. ( i got there at 11:30 )... and they finally ended at 12:00. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they did not play an hour and just started late, because it always sucks when the band you don't want to see goes on and on and on...

FSRZ are a band that I've been wanting to check out for quite a while. In some ways, I wanted to see if the band was going to live up to all they hype. From stories of insane shows, nods from Henry Rollins and selling out Commodore sized rooms in Japan, all without putting out an album (they did release some vinyl for import only), there were pretty high expectations. Suffice to say, I was floored. Despite playing for only half an hour (second of two bands) and the room sounding like shit, their set was one of the most memorable of the year.

A rundown of what happened:
-beer/ice being thrown during the entire set (at band and at audience)
-fake blood everywhere
-beer shower for the bassist
-mock attacking the crowd with a butter knife
-instruments thrown across the stage

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Really made me wonder why it took me so long to catch on to them. I left before Elizabeth. I find it hard to believe anyone could top Fake Shark's set tonight.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

$15/$8

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home