a day in the life of ...

Sunday, September 23, 2007

09.22.2007 Tegan and Sara/Northern State

As expected the girl to guy ratio was somewhere around 4:1. Suprisingly though, I saw a large concentration of dudes in the front row. Vancouver's alternative lifestyle population was also well represented at this show. And since it was the Commodore, the amount of chatterboxes in the crowd was ..well not suprising.

Imagine if one of the Beastie Boys had a sister, and she formed a 'crew' of like minded 'sistas'. There, I just described what the openers, Northern State sound like. They didn't exactly blow my mind. But it did blow my mind later when I read they've had production support from ?uestlove, one of the beastie boys, Muggs from Cypress Hill and others who take them more seriously than I do. I couldn't tell if people were entertained because they genuinely enjoyed them or the irony.

I've known of T+S since about 2003 when I heard "Living Room" off a live recording that was floating around. I even considered seeing their "birthday bash" show at the Mesa Luna, a while ago, but could never really justify it because I didn't think their albums at the time were really that strong overall. 4-5 years later, T+S are putting out better (IMO) albums and with that playing larger venues. I figure I might as well see them now rather than gamble with the seated venues.

T+S played about 1h45 of pretty much all the songs off 'The Con' with older songs/favourites like Speak Slow, Walking with a Ghost, Monday x3, Take me Anywhere, and Living Room mixed in. And when they weren't doing that, they were telling stories of their life in general, which was quite funny and endearing. One such story recalled a period in their life after high school where T+S had decided to play music for a living and then shortly afterwards Sara decided to she wanted time away from T+S. After having seen them live, I realized how much I found Tegan to be a way better songwriter than her sister. I could actually do without a lot of Sara's songs, but I guess that's personal preference. 'Back in your Head' is an awesome song though. There was one song that they played near the end which I didn't recognize and at first wrote it off as an older song that I didn't care for. But then they kept repeating the word "umbrella". It took a little while before I figured out it was Rhianna's Umbrella song. It was alright I guess. As expected T+S encored with Living Room leaving many in the crowd satiated.

$32/$35

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home