a day in the life of ...

Sunday, July 13, 2008

07.12.2008 Wolf Parade / Listening Party

I arrived a little late to make decision on whether or not I actually like Listening Party or not, but from what I saw, I think I liked... I think.. They're indie rock from Shawnigan Lake, in case you're wondering.

I guess it was fitting in some way or another that Wolf Parade walked onto the stage to the Arcade Fire playing on the PA. They were given a warm welcome by the sold out crowd as they launched into a familiar favourite, "You Are a Runner and I am My Father's Son" off their first album. Spencer dedicated that one to his father who was in attendance. It sort of threw me off that this particular song didn't lead into "Fancy Claps", which it has done every time I've seen them. Every song off the new album was played with "the hits" from the first album mixed in. The new songs sound better live than on album. I don't know how to explain it, but they seem to fill the aural spectrum better or something. Hadji their, "sound manipulator/keyboards" guy also impressed the hell out of me. I never really noticed until now how much he adds to their sound. They closed off their main set with "Kissing the Beehive", also the last song on their recent album. It was just as mind blowing live as I was the first time I heard it, which was also live. Dan spent some time borrowing Hadji's thermin during his guitar solo towards the end. A three song encore of older songs sent the crowd and this reviewer home happy as a Wolf Parade fan could be. I guess it was also fitting that they ended with Fancy Claps since they started with Father's Son. hmmm...

Setlist
You are a Runner and I am My Father's Son
Language City
Call It A Ritual
The Grey Estates
Dear Sons and Daughters of Hungry Ghosts
Soldier's Grin
Animal In Your Care
Fine Young Cannibals
Grounds For Divorce
Bang Your Drum
Shine A Light
California dreaming
This Heart's On Fire
Kissing the Beehive
===
It's A Curse
I'll Believe In Anything
Fancy Claps

$30/$30

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home