a day in the life of ...

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

08.05.2008 Feist

At $67 a ticket, the price to see Feist at Deer Lake park was a little steep. However, thanks to the power of the free market and craigslist, I only paid $40. I'd like to think it was worth it. On a side note, Feist played British Columbia's 150th birthday party in Victoria the night before, where she duet-ed with Sarah McLachlan. I was hoping, since McLachlan actually lives in Vancouver and would probably want to go home anyways, we'd see a repeat performance in Vancouver. (we didn't)

I missed the opening band the Weakerthans, mainly because it was hot outside. That and I find them somewhat boring, though I do like "I hate Winnpeg." Anyways I arrived to them playing in the background while I waited in a really long line up, with, what had to be, over zealous security. 15 min later, I was directed to another entrance with no line up. hooray.

The first thing I noticed when I got to the venue was the amount of kids and parents there. Feist being on Sesame Street must mean their kids will love Feist. From what I saw most of them were bored after the first hour. I witnessed one kid near the front over the course of 1/2 hour try to convince his dad, without success, to leave. Leslie Feist entered the stage in a white dress looking as excited as the crowd was to see her. Her guitar amp had the word 'Fox' added to the 'Vox'. Cute. She opened with the familiar, "When I was a Young Girl," which included a longer, jammy ending. She then followed that with my personal favorite Mushaboom, also from Let it Die. Her other singles "My Moon My Man" and "I Feel It All" came shortly after. During the course of the show, for visual effects, "projector art" would be displayed in the background. Think of it as the visual art that goes on when Final Fantasy plays live. I think I enjoyed the latter more. There were two songs that I had to look up at home that she played mid-set. One was called Sunset and the other a Lucinda Williams cover. Both were mellow if you're wondering. Between songs, Feist made a point of letting the crowd know that she couldn't really hear what people were saying and toyed with the idea of playing broken telephone with the audience. She finished the main set with an upbeat "Sea Lion Woman." "Phantoms" was played during the encore, which took me by surprise because I've only heard it on live recordings. Admittedly ending with "Let it Die" is kind of anti-climatic, but I suppose it wouldn't be a Feist show if it didn't happen.

When I was a Young Girl
Mushaboom
My Moon My Man
There's a Limit To Your Love
I Feel It All
Honey Honey
Sunset
Over Time [Lucinda Williams]
1-2-3-4
Gatekeeper
I'm Sorry
So Lion Woman
===
The Water
Phantoms
Let it Die


$30/$40

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home