a day in the life of ...

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

08.19.08 Radiohead / Liars

I arrived at Thunderbird stadium to catch pretty much the last songs of Liar's set. They were actually pretty enjoyable. I guess I shouldn't have written them off a few years ago as a over-pretentious noise band with their best days behind them. Actually what they played today sounded a lot different than what I remember hearing of them a few years ago. I wonder if I've confused Liars with another band...

I really wish the venue/promoter implemented the "head-zone" setup they had in 2001 and 2003. (The Head-Zone, was a limited triangular section at the front of the stage, barricaded off. Sure the tickets were limited, but it did a way better job at controlling the crowd than your standard T-bar setup) Anyways, shortly around the start of Radiohead's set, it starts raining .... and it doesn't stop. Being the idiot that I am, I am wearing shorts and running shoes. I did however bring a rain jacket, so everything but the shirt under my jacket was soaked. It was a pretty miserable experience. The thought of hypothermia actually crossed my mind. I was thinking to myself, as my body shook from the cold, that Radiohead was probably be the only band I would endure this kind of weather for. It was really weird to see and hear (their stage lighting was pretty cool) such beauty, when your body is telling your brain that I'm cold and we should go home. Anyways I stuck around for the entire 2 hour performance which included the entire In Rainbows CD, plus songs from each album except their first one. As mentioned before, their stage design was pretty cool, lots of bright multi-coloured vertical lighting. Most of the time video monitors would display a 4 screen split of members of the band using what appeared to be the cameras typically used in closed circuit tv surveillance. Before one of the earlier songs, Thom dealt with a heckler tell him to "Shut the fuck up. You're not funny, you just don't get out much." Well said. Before the last song Thom asked the crowd if they could choose between Idioteque or Paranoid Andriod. The crowd seemed to go with the latter as apparently Johnny as his guitar was already strapped on. To summarize, the rain sucked, a lot of the crowd sucked, but the band was good and I guess that's really all that matters.

01. 15 Step
02. There There
03. Morning Bell
04. All I Need
05. Where I End And You Begin
06. Talk Show Host
07. Nude
08. Arpeggi
09. The National Anthem
10. Bangers And Mash
11. Faust Arp
12. Videotape
13. Karma Police
14. Jigsaw Falling Into Place
15. Just
16. Exit Music [For A Film]
17. Bodysnatchers

Encore 1:

18. House of Cards
19. Optimistic
20. You and Whose Army
21. Planet Telex
22. Everything In Its Right Place

Encore 2:

23. Reckoner
24. 2+2=5
25. Paranoid Android


$80/$80 (wouldn't be happy with paying that much, but still would)

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home