a day in the life of ...

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

08.31.2008 The Trews

The Trews played a free show as part of Nike's world wide 10k run thing. I believe the deal was you paid $50 and you could run an get timed in a 10 km run.... yeah.... Anyways I decided to check it out because the music portion that took place after the run was apparently free.

I actually arrived late and missed a few songs because a) they started earlier than they were supposed to, and b) I couldn't figure out where the entrance was. When I got to the entrance there were people giving out tickets to get in. I've never seen the Trews before, but had heard their music on the radio. They're not really the type of band I would pay to see, but I'm always down for a free rock show. I don't own any of their albums, or even have any mp3s of them, but I noticed that I recognized a lot of their set from radio and tv. Thank you CANCON? Their set was pretty entertaining. I was pretty amused by the amount of rock show cliches the Trews employed during their set. I saw the bassist and guitarist sharing a mic stand, the guitarist doing the AC/DC duck walk, solo in the barricade, keyboard solo, running across the stage and more. Granted, I normally find many of these moves 'douche-y', however coming from these scruffy looking East coast boys, it seemed more genuine and less contrived. They ended their hour long set with what had to be a extended "Tired of Waiting" jam that had multiple solos, a slow breakdown, parts that I didn't recognize and a whole lot of fun. Theory of a Dead man played afterwards, though I can't confirm that... ha.... ha... ha...

$10/$0

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home