a day in the life of ...

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

09.06.2008 Mogwai / Fuck Buttons

I can't really remember why I didn't go see Mogwai the last time they were here, during the Mr. Beast tour, but as I write this review, I sort of feel silly knowing I missed an opportunity to see Mogwai.

Fuck Buttons opened up. They're two guys on stage making continuous noise onstage, sometimes boring, real repetitive other times, and other times brilliant. I had a listen to their album before coming and couldn't figure out why Mogwai would want to take them out on tour. In fact I found them to be very similar to Stars of the Lid, ie most of the time really boring. Had I actually listened to their album all the way through probably would have noticed that like Mogwai, they have songs with really loud noisy crescendos and 'noise walls'. I guess they're sort of like Mogwai, without drums or guitars. Overall they were a pretty interesting band to watch.

Mogwai was loud. Real loud. Definitely the loudest band I've seen at the Commodore. Funny thing is I don't even remember it being that loud when I saw them in 2003. I think the loudest moment was the beginning of the second half of "Mogwai Fear Satan." I remember being really worried about my long term hearing at that point. Someone in the crowd called Barry a cunt. To which he replied "I shagged your mother, fucker." There was a guy calling out for X-Mas Steps, the entire night. I wish he got his wish. I wonder if it was the guy who called out for it the last time I saw them.

There was a bit of confusion when Mogwai finished up their set with Batcat. Stuart has said that the band wasn't into doing encores anymore (they'd still play their normal set time just straight through, instead of taking an encore break). However he also mentioned that if the crowd called for it they would. I waited around, and started to leave when I saw the stagehand turn off the amps. But then he turned around and flipped them on again. A minute later, he made the throat slash sign. Normally this means it's over. I start to leave, and I get to about the end of the dance floor when I hear the crowd getting louder. Stuart comes back on stage and attempts to apologize, saying that there's a problem something - but is interrupted by someone notifying the problem was fixed. Encore time! Ithica 27ø9 follows, another airplane takes off nearby (ha.. ha..), everyone is sent home happy... well maybe not the X-mas Steps guy.


10.12.2008: Links don't work, archive.org got a letter telling them to take it down. Probably due to this... I could blame the over-zealous, Web Sheriff for this, but I don't know if it's them for sure, for all I know it could be Mogwai using the show for an upcoming release. I can't fight it and neither will archive.org. I don't really know what to say.


01) Intro
02) The Precipice
03) Friend of the Night
04) I'm Jim Morrison, I'm Dead
05) Ex-Cowboy
06) Thank You Space Expert
07) Tracy
08) Scotland's Shame
09) Hunted By a Freak
10) Mogwai Fear Satan
11) I Love You, I'm Going to Blow Up Your School
12) Helicon 1
13) Like Herod
14) Batcat
===
15) Ithica 27ø9



or just go here.

$37/$37

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home